Powered by WebAds

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sleep-Deprived Musings

Is it just me that has to deal with the following conundrum:

I have to drag my kids out of bed every weekday morning after turning on the room light and waking them countless times, poke my head in their respective rooms to remind them to get dressed (as they catatonically sit on the floor next to their closets and stare at the blank wall), and then practically pour breakfast down their throats, all in order to get them off to their buses on time.

Yet somehow, they all manage to get themselves up and running at the crack of dawn on Shabbos morning, loudly clamoring for attention (and breakfast), hours earlier than they seem to regain their ability to lucidly communicate, get dressed efficiently, or eat some semblance of a breakfast on a school morning.

One of those things that make you go hmmm.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a lucky lady. My kids would sleep till noon on Shabbos unless they have something special planned after shul.

9:02 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

I don't feel lucky at 6 AM on Shabbos morning when they are in my room, asking me for breakfast.
Though my oldest, like your kids, has definitely outgrown that stage and will sleep until woken up - any day of the week.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think I should just let them be late a few times until they realize they have to take responsibility for getting themselves up and out for school. But of course if they are late, I'm sure I will end up driving them to school!

9:09 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

That's exactly it. If I
wouldn't have to pay the price for their missing the bus, maybe I wouldn't work so hard at getting them all up. But I'm the one driving them if they miss their buses, of course.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think they get up early on shabbos in anticipation of the gossip in shul on gourmet glatt..hehe

9:44 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Anonymous said...

i think they get up early on shabbos in anticipation of the gossip in shul on gourmet glatt..hehe


Lol. Except that:

1. I heard no notable GG gossip in shul, except for a friend expressing her delight at having been able to shop there for Shabbos. I guess the story really has run its course, barring any unforeseen developments.

2. If it's all about the GG gossip, what's my kids' excuse every other Shabbos?

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OM: As the kids get older, they'll sleep more in the morning...even on Shabbat.

Although, I find it the worst when it's 6:00 AM on Shabbat morning, and instead of hearing the loud clamoring of kids, you here hushed giggling...and you find the little ones being rather destructive.

Our clever, master engineers at ages 4 and 5 figured out one Shabbat morning how to drag a fan into the bathroom, and engrave a new "outlet" into the wall.

The pile of plaster dust on the floor, all over them, and the new holes in the wall meant we unknowingly got an extra hour of shabbat morning sleep.

I'm still not sure which option is worse.

4:19 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

OM, you just described what goes on in my house- and I remember it being like that when we were growing up, too. And I'm sure our kids will get paid back when THEY become parents!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home