Powered by WebAds

Thursday, January 26, 2006

JIB Jerkiness

All right, I'm out. My early good showing in the final round of the JIB's has gone down like a ton of bricks. I'm not shocked. Even if my blog were good enough to place for a "medal" in any of the categories I was nominated (and I'm not saying that it is), I didn't expect to be able to compete with blogs that have double, triple, even ten times my readership. But that is perfectly OK. A blog gets good traffic because they earn it by, well, being a good blog. A blog with a large readership scoring the top spots is perfectly within the spirit of an election - the most popular candidate generally wins. Who doesn't love a democracy? So please don't mistake this post for a bitter rant. It's a rant, all right, but I'm not bitter - just annoyed.

Why? Because stunts like this bother the hell out of me. For someone to subvert the process by sending all of his readers (most who likely have never read and will not start to read any of the blogs competing), to vote for the candidates that he deems worthy is just nauseating. This guy is just screwing with the results because he can. And that really pisses me off. It's one thing to send readers to vote for the candidates you see eye-to-eye with politically when the categories have some political relevance. But there are many blogs in categories like Best Personal Blog, and Best Post that are completely apolitical. Why mess with the process of the blogs' readers choosing the blog that they feel is best? Why does the guy even give a crap? Did he even read all of the submissions in the Best Post category - or any of the others? So this jerk likes three bloggers' liberal creds - and they should sweep every category? It never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who revel in spoiling other peoples' fun. It really makes me a bit ill. If this doesn't negate all of the hard work Dave put into this contest, I don't know what does.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Crap, hell, pissed. Is this really OM, or did someone take her blog over?

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad s/o had the guts to say what all of are thinkin, but good luck w/ Jesus General. They hold a grudge.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

You are right, absolutely right.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

One more thing. If I were one of the blogs that was being recommended by this putz I'd ask him to rescind his recommendation. It makes winning a complete sham.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Robbie said...

As one of the blogs he's recommending, I thought it was funny for the first round - and I admit I kinda liked it. But you're right - I know that the showing I have in the categories in which he endorsed someone else, I'm doing average - what I'd probably do in the rest of the categories otherwise.

As much as I'd like to win, and I admit that I would, I'd like it to be for real.

1:17 AM  
Blogger YMedad said...

Well, when Not The Gadol Hador writes this: "Now Modern Orthodox Woman could have qualified, but she has an untzniusdick picture of Barbie. Thats not Religion, that's Pritzus! Disqualified."
http://godolhador.blogspot.com/2006/01/jibs.html
you've got other problems as well. But you asked it I agree with you and I do.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree and I'm glad you said it. The JIBS are "impure" and so many levels without outside meddling, but I think that the idea of the awards had enough to recommend it to make it worth it overall. But the patriot boy posts skew the results on so many different levels that it has become a joke.

Keep in mind that the post in question had no effect on my blog which made it to the second round my the thinnest of margins. I had no expectation of ranking, meddling or no.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear, hear, om! thanks for putting it up there.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OM: With your hit counter stats, you don't need some JIB award graphic to prove you've got a great blog.

Though I personally made it to the second round, there's no way I can possibly win better than 4rth place.

Today, I officially told my readership NOT to vote for me. Many other better things to do with their time.

9:21 AM  
Blogger DovBear said...

You're right. This happened last year, too, but you're right.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home