Powered by WebAds

Friday, August 12, 2005

Playing With Fire

I was waiting for this sort of thing:
Some 25 armed settlers marched Friday through Palestinian villages in the West Bank in an attempt to reach the settlements of Sa-Nur and Homesh, both of which are slated for evacuation within the framework of the disengagement plan.

The armed individuals set out from the settlement of Einav, located east of Tul Karm, and passed through Palestinian villages located in territories designated Area A, under full Palestinian Authority security control. The Israel Defense Forces forbids the entry of Israeli civilians into Area A.
... It thus appears the armed settlers were attempting to provoke a reaction by marching through the Palestinian villages.

I am the first person to support the right of these settlers to protest a government action that they find unjust - in this case the disengagement. Though I still hold out hope that the disengagement will get us somewhere on the road to peace, I have no problem with those who oppose the pullout making their views public. I'm not even willing to say that I am against their right to protest with a bit of civil disobedience. But this is too much. This apparent attempted provocation can only be construed as having one goal - to goad the Palestinians into doing something that will possibly derail the planned disengagement. And I think these settlers are playing with fire.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog, the layout, the content, the overall feel of it. I bookmarked you... I will check back pretty often to see whats new :-)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Or, you could move to the United States and leave this mess behind."

Then you would have to get a passport from the Five Town State Department. What a headache.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah krum awesome
-a.s.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Krum that is funny.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home