Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sad But True

Great piece by Rob Borsellino about the asinine stories the media chooses to bombard us with, at the expense of the news that might be more important. From the column:
For years I've felt like this country is dumbing down, losing touch with what's important.

About a month ago, I thought I had the defining moment.

A woman on TV was shown a picture of the U.S. secretary of state and - with complete self confidence - she identified her as "Mona Lisa Rice."

I was sure we had bottomed out...
I knew that Tom Cruise got engaged to Katie Holmes at the top of the Eiffel Tower, and I'd be able to pick Jackson's lawyer out of a crowd.

But I couldn't name the assistant secretary of defense - even in a time of war.

I knew the exact time Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, and I could tell you that the runaway bride got a half-million-dollar advance to tell her story.

But I had lost track of how many U.S. soldiers have been killed in Iraq.

But as the writer then points out, does anyone really want to hear about the Bolton deadlock all day, every day?

(via)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great point and I agree completely, which is why I only get my news from Fox and the New York Post. (note: read with dripping sarcasm)

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever sells papers and advertising. Can't blame 'em!

7:12 PM  
Blogger smithendy@gmail.com said...

the title of your post reminds me the popular song of Metallica. I propose you paperwriting-services.com as a website of help for students and all people in general, because everyday we face with some written tasks.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home